http://bitboxconsole.blogspot.sk

VIDEO
http://vimeo.com/74706567

:whist:

Předmět příspěvku: Re: BitBox
PříspěvekNapsal: 03.11.2013, 15:47 
Z UZEBox fóra:

"Hi all,

just a quick reply on the preceding comment, cause I did almost exactly something resembling that for the last few months thanks to this very thread on this very forum : I bit the bullet and prototyped a simple console based on stm32f4, with some (prototype !) game engine software to ease game development.

Quick specs of the hand-soldered proto : (not everything is final - well practically nothing , this is the first pcb rev.)

- stm32f4 based+few components (resistors, power, plugs)
- DMA VGA out, 12 bits 4096 colors with DMA (currently hesitating to up that to 15bits).
- software tile-based renderer at 640x480 (scanline), no hard limits on sprites besides ~ 5000 cycles to render each line ;)

- mini-din (aka ps2) connector to connect either a keyboard (not tested) or a SNES controller (tested) ! (snes connectors are big, difficult to find, incompatible
with anything. Easier to rip the male connector and replace it with mini din!)
- mini usb on the right (used for power as well as possible connexion / DFU firmware loading from USB (to be tested))
- mini jack out with lowpass filtering from stm32 DAC (mono, to be tested)
- microSD card reader (stm32f4 SDIO, not tested)

currently developing in C on linux, gcc+summon arm toolkit.

please read it more about it here : http://bitboxconsole.blogspot.fr/

The pcb is shown , but i'll provide the schematics + sample code /tuts when the thing is more stable / code is less of a mess. I'll try to keep the blog updated.

What do you guys think ?

-- makapuf"

a

"Matej wrote:Ahh this is nice. How much cost such Bitbox board? Can I use C for games? Can I use MOD and PNG for graphics?

The bitbox is not currently for sale. I'm planning to, however (but not before a few months) : if things go well, I'll present an upgraded version "r2" (with many improvements from feedback gathered since the project went public). Nothing really definitive now, but the idea is to add some nice features while keeping the philosophy (32bits, single chip) : you can follow the mailing list if you want to follow developments (the ML is on the blog).

Of course you can use C for games, that's how mine are written (you could also use C++ ; other languages .. can be tried !)
You can use the "emulator" (a few .c files using SDL, nothing big) to develop games on your PC now.

for MOD you'll need a player (maybe I'll release one ) but the platform has the CPU to do this (XM not so sure). ( mp3 has been done on this MCU - but not running a game also).

PNG are not readable as is but you could load them to RAM, however remember you have 192k for everything, so other formats would be better(I use a Gimp exporter) - there is a tutorial on blitting graphics on the blog.

Things go slowly but surely !

makapuf"

Všechny časy jsou v UTC + 1 hodina [ Letní čas ]